Friday, October 10, 2008

Fruitworm

I spent quite a bit of time with the fine art of washing and peeling the red dragonfruit I bought from the pasar malam (night market) yesterday. The fruit looked a bit strange upon skinning, and I thought that it was slightly blacker than usual, and also slightly mushier. Nevertheless, I dismissed it as having more seeds (as the seeds are black) and that the fruit was just a tad bit over-ripe. My fingers were temporarily stained reddish purple as I happily started slicing.

I have a habit of eating slices of fruit as I am cutting them so I bit into one of the slices, savouring the semi-sweet taste of the still-cold fruit. It was at that moment, taking a bite of the delicious red flesh when I suddenly noticed something white and wriggling on the plate of the half sliced fruit. I froze for a moment and took a closer second look. Sure enough, the dragonfruit was infested with wriggling white and very much alive WORMSSSS. GROSS. It triggered an automatic involuntary gagging response and I couldn't help rinsing my mouth over and over again, compulsively. Of all the creatures, I am most affected when I see worms, especially when it might have been in my mouth! =S

I couldn't touch the other dragonfruits in my room, at least for the rest of the day.

Urghhh x_x

No comments: