Wednesday, May 14, 2008

7th May 2008- Day 2

Morning has dawned upon us =D =D but it's not like any ordinary morning. My first day ever waking up in a different country altogether. I was in London!!! The breathtaking city of the most awesome sights. Wonderful that I don't get any jet lag at all =) I guess screwing up with my sleeping times has its benefits. It was really easy to adjust. Who was that who keeps telling me it's really bad to have erratic sleeping times? =p


Faustina and I went down to have our English breakfast, complimentary with our stay in the President Hotel. I know the hotel name sounds really grand, but *cough cough* well it isn't really. haha.

Breakfast was bacon, eggs, eggs, eggs (all sorts of eggs, scrambled, boiled, pouched, bulls eye), toast, fruits, sausages, tomatoes, cereal, and juice. It looked so wonderful on the first morning I took everything. I learnt from Ms Amy that fruits are starters, that I hold the knife and fork wrongly, and I am not supposed to use a spoon! haha. Then the toast was supposed to be buttered only at the portion I want to bite, and the bread must be cut diagonally with a knife while holding the bread with my hand. English table manners! haha

After breakfast we headed to Darthmouth House for the official introductory meeting, set to be at 9.45am. We arrived at around half past nine after taking the tube to Green Park and walking on foot. There, we were welcomed by Katie Brock, and also Andrew, the "king" for the day. Then we had the hot air balloon roleplay, which was highly amusing. 10 people (I think) pretended that they were in a hot air balloon and it was going to sink so they had to chuck people out in order to survive. Thus each volunteer had to say something so that people will vote for them and they will STAY on the balloon till the last man, or lady standing. It was hilarious! We broke out in laughter at Alexey's nuclear stash, in which he claims to be the only one who can undo it before it goes off, the triathlon swimmer/thrower/runner, the flower, the balloon engineer, the money man and even an entertainer who will sing and entertain anyone who's bored in the balloon. In the end, the last two standing was the swimmer and the flower who died together in the hot air balloon because they couldn't chuck the other out. lol So ironic. The swimmer can swim, and what is a flower doing in a hot air balloon anyway? =p

Next came the workshop, or really, the preparations for the debate the following day.

It wasn't really a debate, it was a political roleplay about a fictitious country "qwertyuiopian" and we had to decide our constitution. I was a social democrat that day. In the same group as I was, were Daniel (Australia), Nataly (Belarus), Maria Rosario (Chile), Saba (India), Jad (Lebanon), Hajar (Morocco) and Augustine (Romania). Daniel and Augustine seemed to be the most enthusiastic of the lot, while some of us just sat observing, and the rest interjecting here and there. Then, after awhile, we formed alliances with the other teams, namely the Communists and Liberals. Half of the Greens (a party that is formed solely with a mission of saving the environment) were there, but in the end they decided that they'd rather ally themselves with the government and not the opposition as we were. It was discussion and discussion. At first I was listening and giving ideas then after awhile, I guess since my interest in politics is practically nil, I had great fun getting to know some of the others such as Saba, a really nice girl from India who gave me a souvenir =) I remember her name extremely well, as it sounds like Sabah, where I was born and grew up in. Then it was the first sandwich lunch of many more sandwich lunches that we were to have.

In Darthmouth House after the discussions:



Veronika and Nataly (both from Belarus), me, Saba (India), Jad (Lebanon)



Back: Veronika, Nataly, Saba, Jad, Rajab, Vasil? (I think? sorry, correct me if I am wrong, my memory isn't all that wonderful)
Front: me and Sarah

Back: Patricia (HK), Faustina (Msian), Hajab (Morocco), Jima (Mongolia)
Front: Me, Maggie (HK) , Sarah (Yemen), Catherine (China)

After lunch, we departed on foot to the Stephens Gate, House of Commons. We passed Buckingham Palace!! So naturally, took photos. (I should have taken more photos on the way!)



The gate of the park we walked through. This was the park we were in the day before. (At least I think so, it looked the same)



Buckingham Palace!!!That's me, Buckingham Palace in the background


Ayaka from Japan! She reminds me of Japanese actresses from Japanese drama series =) A quiet but really sweet girl. Only participant from Japan. She used to study in UK, but now she's back in Japan. Speaks really good english.



We saw ducks in the pond.. they were so quaint.



There was even a pelican in the park! Something I will not get to see everyday =)

Katie kept hurrying us along. Haha I guess ordinary everyday things fascinated us a little TOO much. Had a chat with Augustine from Romania. He seems extremely knowledgeable, and we both agreed that there should be more time in the programme to get to know people and all, instead of everything being so packed and rushed. For example, stopping by, enjoying more of the view, and staying longer to see those ducks. =p

I was in the 3rd group, and we were to be at the House of Commons the latest, at the 3.50pm slot. Free time was before that. It was a great time to be sight seeing London, but the truth was we didn't do much. Big Ben
We sat on the grass in front of this building here, took photos and talked. Katie came over at one point and exclaimed "why are you sitting in the shade??" Which struck me as amusing. I stay away from the sun as much as I can. lol. I don't like the sun at all!! In KL, you would have seen me with an umbrella to shade myself from the sun. It would have looked absurd in London though. Well yeah I know the sun is the reason we are living on this planet, but sit in the sun??!! I don't care if the wind is cold. I like the shade =p lol. Saba likes staying out of the sun too :) At first it was just those you see in the photo, then for a moment, some of them from group 2 joined us, as they could not get into the house of commons yet.


Saba, Jad, Gian, Fares, Nataly, me, and Vasil (I hope I am right)Maggie and I

When it was time to go to the House of Commons, we did. On the way we heard news of how the experience was. Suffice to say, it didn't seem like something to look forward to much haha. For those who were there, you know what I mean. No offence to anyone. lol. We had to line up and wait to get through security. To make sure that we don't bring in any weapons or shotguns I guess. It was quite some time out in the sun, and it was HOT. Really. I so wanted my umbrella. Haha. Spoke to Mariam from Georgia and also João from Brazil. I noticed the necklace thing João had on was like the cross that Eric got for me as a souvenir from Egypt a few years ago! So I told him that, and he said, that's right, it IS from Egypt. =) They were both really nice and friendly people. They overshadowed the scorching sun :P This is what is BEST of the trip to London. Meeting all these awesome people from all over the world. Suddenly other countries don't seem so foreign and distant anymore.

In the House of Commons:


The architecture was splendid really. It was really like something out of those english movies set in the past. The stone (are they stone?) carvings and statues and the stained glass, the high ceilings. We weren't to take photos inside the room where we watched a bit of the parliamentary debate about... well i really don't remember about what....before leaving.


Big group photo. Let see how good my memory is.
Front: Me, Maggie (HK), Jad (Lebanon), Saba (India), Nataly (Belarus), Mariam (Georgia), Ana (Serbia), Maria (She says call her Rosanne) (Chile)
Back: Hajar (Morocco), Rakshita (Mauritus), Augustine (Russia), Minde (Mongolia), Martynas (Lithuania), João (Brazil), Fares (Yemen).

Next, we headed over to Fortune Theatre. We were going to watch the Woman in Black. Everyone was talking about how scary it was going to be. Scary? In a theatre? Sure or not? *Raised eyebrows*

Outside Fortune Theatre:




Me, Hajar (behind), Sarah, Jad, Michelle, Rajab, Patricia, Maggie, Ewa

Jima, Hajar, Me


Spoke quite a bit to Kristaps from Latvia, found out that he really loves theatre. =) A really nice guy to talk to. Not to mention he the most mesmerizing eyes ever. They are turquoise!!! He is so photogenic every photo he takes just look so good lol


The director of The Woman in Black, Robin Herford



After the talk by the director, we had some free time to wander around before the play at 8pm. Faustina and I walked around and we came to Convent Garden. I remember this place for the two peacocks. :P

Just to capture the essence of everyday life in London. People love to sit outside over here. Better again if it is in the sun. *Grimaces and hides in the shade* lol


The set of The Woman in Black. Don't underestimate its simplicity. It was an awesome experience! I screamed! haha It was embarassing. =p but fun. They made it work! And YES theatre CAN be scary! haha The cloth at the backdrop is really amazing. It's opaque when light shines from the front, but if light shines from the back then we can see through it. They played alot with shadow and light and sound and the effect was amazing. It was an awesome play, and it got a standing ovation when it ended.

Ian from North Carolina, USA. Just so happened to be sitting on my left in the theatre. Tom from Victoria, Australia was on the right, but I didn't get to capture a photo with him on that day.

And that was the last programme of the day. I was indeed very tired by then. All I wanted to do was shower and crawl into bed. And that was exactly what I did when I got back to the hotel. End of day 2 in London. =)



No comments: