Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I HATE standard procedures

I wasted four hours of my life today. Went to the immigration to make my passport. When I bought the form, I asked if all I needed was my IC and 2 passport sized photos. The man at work looked at me and ignored the question. He took the form, took the one ringgit, and clipped a number then asked me to go elsewhere to wait.

The current number was 1028. My number was 1113. So I waited patiently, just to hand in one stupid form. I wonder why it has to go through so many people. It's just a form, and their standard operation procedures are so inefficient, to put it mildly. But no worries, standard procedure. After all, a passport only takes a few hours to get these days.

Then after 2 hours plus, it finally got to my number. When I went to the counter 5, the man working took a look at my IC and then remarked "ini IC mana? Kamu dari mana?" Then I told him, Sabah. "Ibu bapa mana?" (said in a tone like I'm some illegal immigrant or something. So condescending!) I said Johor. Then he asked for the birth certificate. Whhhaaaattttt!!! I don't have my birth cert here. It's back in Sabah I told him. Is the IC not enough? Then he said need proof of my keturunan. Proof? what proof? Are you saying that a MyKad is not proof enough that I am a citizen of Malaysia? Just because I am a Sabahan with Johorian parents, it makes me, what, STATELESS? Poor me. Fair enough, then I asked if a certified copy will do. He said cannot. He asked me to call home and ask my parents to post my birth cert. Is he crazy? POST my original BIRTH CERTIFICATE?? If it gets lost in the post who is going to be responsible? I won't be stateless then, I'll be nationless. So many problems. If I am born in Sabah with sabah-born parents NO PROBLEM, can use MyKad. If born in semenanjung with semenanjung-born parents, no problem, can use MyKad. But since I am a Sabahan with semenanjung born parents, they insist on my birth certificate as they say they need proof of my keturunan?!! I told them the number of my birth cert, but no, even that in unacceptable. This is just absurd! It's not like I was born on the plane that just so happen to fly over malaysia and then I got a malaysian ID. Some more everything is computerized now. They can just access the database for verification! But oh, its NOT standard procedure.

Then I went away, and remembered the MyKad had a chip. That has all the particulars, doesn't it? So I went back to ask if they could get the proof they want from here. He tell me cannot. I kept asking and asking, in the end he asked me to go next door to the IC department to see if they can get an extract of the birth certificate.

So I went over to the kad pengenalan department, and asked one officer after another. In the end they gave me a number (I don't know for what, there was no queue. Another stupid standard procedure). So I went to ask about extracts and she said that because my birth cert is from sabah department, it cannot be extracted from kl immigration. Which was reasonable. So I asked if she could access what is in the MyKad. And sure enough, all the information of keturunan, including parents name, place of birth (including the clinic), its all inside the chip. Wonderful, don't you think? Apparently not. "Ini tidak boleh print, Data ini private dan confidential" WHHHHhhaatttt!!!

So I went back to the passport department, and I told the officer, the proof keturunan is inside the chip of the MyKad. He said yes he knows but cannot use. MUST USE ORIGINAL BIRTH CERT! Why? What is the use of the chip in the MyKad when you don't even acknowledge the contents? FAILURE!

I was getting very pissed by then. So I decided to go across to the mamak stall opposite for roti kaya and then called dad about the birth cert thing. How the hell am I going to post it?! Cannot take the risk lah, malaysian postal system u think so great ah? Then at the end dad said, ask them if the high court or the immigration department of kk certifies the birth cert will they accept it.

Then I went back to ask. He didn't want to layan me anymore... but in the end he did and said it was ok.

Stupid.

Can't they just say earlier.

Four bloody hours.

I have so much better things to do. I hate the system!

PS. why is a sabah born citizen with west msian parents facing so much nonsense with the immigration?! It's so annoying! KONONNYA we are all citizens of MALAYSIA. The country we are so proud of, a nation united. HAH

1 comment:

ME said...

Poor you. I can't believe the system! All this nonsense and coruption stil happening.

Faustina