Thursday, April 24, 2008

On top of the world

Compliments are like music to our ears, but thread very carefully, you don't want your head to get too swollen =p

Today, an msn conversation really made me feel like all the effort I put into public speaking is really worth it. More about that later.

Yesterday, I was chatting online to a friend about public speaking, and it was quite amusing. I don't remember exactly what I said but said that the most important thing was about meaning what I say, and that I won't talk about something I don't care about because what the mouth says but the heart doesn't feel wouldn't feel right. He said that the best speakers don't tell the truth anyway. And that people don't know whether it is the truth because the best speakers make everything true. I said I wasn't that sort of speaker, even if I was the "best speaker" I wouldn't count myself as the best because it is all pretence. After all, a good speaker can't be convincing unless he convinces himself first. And he then he laughed and said, then how to be the best? =s lolz. Oh well. Maybe I can't be the best, but at least I try my best =) and retain the essence of who I am. To me that is what matters. Who cares about being "the best" when there is no such thing as that. As one of dad's favourite phrases goes, "ren bu ke yi gen ren bi".. or in english, you cannot compare one person with another. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. It's how we deal with who we are and the circumstances and people around us that strengthens our strengths and rectify our weaknesses. In the end it's not what we achieve that matters, but who we are inside. It's not about whats in your CV, but whats in your character. It's not about how many people knows you, but how favourably people who know you think of you. It's about me being me and you being you. It's about keeping it real, and learning every step of the way. That is what makes life worth living.

Anyway, back to what made my day today. Extracts of the msn conversation with Chulan, president of the PSF (Public speaking finalists? or I heard it's now public speaking federation hehe):

Chulan says:

i hope you win in London

Chulan says:

there is sincerity in your voice

Chulan says:

i would love love love to see you in the papers

Chulan says:

then i see that you too are a very humble, nice and down to earth person


WOW. hehe that really made me feel on top of the world. I have never ever received comments that felt so good before. =) It's nice to hear congratulations, or that people enjoyed listening to the speech. But hearing sincerity in my voice? That's like the absolute goal of public speaking, or just ordinary talk for that matter. One that I didn't know people could actually hear out. It makes me feel that public speaking is really worth it, and it is not, as many people might think, a memorised text of something that people would want to hear. It's about bringing across a message that evokes thought and reaches out to people's hearts. In time, I have grown to love the feeling of standing up on stage and talking. When I am standing there, and people are listening, and if the words that I say can control the atmosphere and the emotions of people in the room, then it is, I feel, one of the most satisfying things in this world. =) Thanks Chulan.. really do appreciate what you said. It gives me the motivation to work really hard for the competition in London =) For the number of people who believe in me, I think I am finally starting to believe in myself. I really hope I won't turn into some arrogant, self centered person in the process though. =( There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Too little is not good, but too much is disastrous. I will just try my best =) Thank you all the people who supports me. I really do cherish it =D




1 comment:

Sam said...

Sounds very much like our president =]